Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I think I need to read this....

I have been following the story of a sweet little 5 year old fight brain cancer . I can't imagine the pain they are going through. All I can offer is my prayers. Her dad has a blog and today he recaps a book he just finished. I am not dealing with a life threating illness in my child and chances are neither are you. How ever in times like these I think this sounds like somethings we all need to be reminded of. I'm going out to get the book tomorrow.....



By aaronmcrae
on Uncategorized



9781600063053The
other day I finished reading “Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts” by
Jerry Bridges here are a some of the highlights for me. This was not an
easy read for me at this time but it was an important one. I tried to
reduce my selection of thoughts but found most too hard to delete. So
here they are…(BOLD added by me)

-As Augustine said, “Nothing, therefore, happens unless the Omnipotent wills it to happen; he either permits it to happen, or he brings it about himself.”

-Our first priority in times of adversity is to honor and glorify God by trusting him…we
honor God by choosing to trust him when we don’t understand what He is
doing or why he has allowed some adverse circumstance to occur.

-God’s sovereignty and God’s promises were intended to stimulate prayer…Because God is sovereign, He is able to answer. Because He is faithful to His promises, He will answer.

-God
always has a purpose for the grief He brings or allows in our lives.
Most often we do not know what that purpose is, but it is enough to
know that His infinite wisdom and perfect love have determined that the
particular sorrow is best for us. God never wastes pain.

-Although we may be going to the Scriptures to learn how to respond to our adversities, we find those adversities help us to understand the Scriptures.

-For the believer all pain has meaning; all adversity is profitable.

-…trusting God is first of all a matter of the will and is not dependent on my feelings. I choose to trust God, and my feelings eventually follow.

-We are responsible to obey the will of God, but we are dependent upon the Holy Spirit for the enabling power to do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment